Issue recording RDP sessions

Hello, I’ve been testing features like copy/paste and file transfers on RDP sessions, however there seems to be an issue with retrieving video logs.

This is what it shows when I try to view a previous RDP session (with Firefox) and when trying another browser like Chrome the same issue, however the display is a bit different (despite the video box being visible, it won’t play at all)

When checking /var/log/trasa.log I get these messages, the timestamp is consistent with the time the session was started.

time="2021-04-28T14:23:16+01:00" level=info msg="trasa: reading from guacd terminated.<nil>" func=github.com/seknox/trasa/server/accessproxy/rdpproxy.catchInitialErrors.func1 file="rdpproxy/session.go:274"
time="2021-04-28T14:23:16+01:00" level=info msg="trasa: reading from client terminated.<nil>" func=github.com/seknox/trasa/server/accessproxy/rdpproxy.catchInitialErrors.func2 file="rdpproxy/session.go:297"
time="2021-04-28T14:23:16+01:00" level=info msg="trasa: IO goroutines are terminated.<nil>" func=github.com/seknox/trasa/server/accessproxy/rdpproxy.catchInitialErrors file="rdpproxy/session.go:305"
time="2021-04-28T14:26:14+01:00" level=error msg="could not convert guac file to m4v. Error: No such container: guacd\n: exit status 1" func=github.com/seknox/trasa/server/accessproxy/rdpproxy.logSession file="rdpproxy/newguac.go:120"
time="2021-04-28T14:27:03+01:00" level=error msg="open /var/trasa/sessions/trasa-guac-logs/8c55173e-ef60-49af-9b6b-0dd7d653127f/2021/4/28/501fe663-65cb-4252-b19e-759c87256a29.guac: no such file or directory" func=github.com/seknox/trasa/server/api/logs.GetRawLog file="logs/hndlSessionLog.go:88"
time="2021-04-28T14:27:03+01:00" level=error msg="open /var/trasa/sessions/trasa-guac-logs/8c55173e-ef60-49af-9b6b-0dd7d653127f/2021/4/28/501fe663-65cb-4252-b19e-759c87256a29.guac: no such file or directory" func=github.com/seknox/trasa/server/api/logs.GetVideoLog file="logs/hndlSessionLog.go:39"

@sshah I checked /etc/trasa/config/config.toml and verified that on [proxy] section, guacdEnabled is set to false

Also I am not running docker

Hi,

time="2021-04-28T14:26:14+01:00" level=error msg="could not convert guac file to m4v. Error: No such container: guacd\n: exit status 1" func=github.com/seknox/trasa/server/accessproxy/rdpproxy.logSession file="rdpproxy/newguac.go:120"

This error suggests that guacd container is not present. Seems like you are testing it on Apache guacamole’s guacd and not with guacd that we provide. Guacenc is required to record the proxy session video. Currently, TRASA server expects and invokes guacenc converter command by calling guacd container. The docker image we provide contains both guacd and guacenc. Can you confirm that this is the case?

I checked /etc/trasa/config/config.toml and verified that on [proxy] section, guacdEnabled is set to false

If this configuration is set to true then TRASA server will not start if guacd is not running. So not related to your current issue.

Yes I am not running docker at this point, due to the no internet on the client internal network, then I suppose the alternative would be running Apache Guacamole as a http service and see how it goes?

Which will require me to figure out how to run Apache Guacamole pointing to TRASA

Umm I’m not sure what you want to achieve with this !?

Didn’t loading the docker image from exported tar file work for you?
Since we have programmed TRASA server to work best with guacd container that we maintain, you might also encounter other incompatibilities down the road so it’s better to run guacd container.

Was trying to think in a workaround, but guess I will run the guacd container then.
Will give feedback asap

So I saved the image on my work machine with the following command docker save -o guacd.tar seknox/guacd:latest and exported to the linux server

next I have loaded the image like this docker load guacd.tar on the server, now with the docker create command I am in doubt about the parameters I should pass

Once you’ve loaded with docker load, then you run it as

sudo docker run -d --rm --name guacd \
        -p 127.0.0.1:4822:4822 \
        -v /tmp/trasa/accessproxy/guac:/tmp/trasa/accessproxy/guac \
        --user root  seknox/guacd:latest

I get this error :

$ sudo docker run -d --rm --name guacd -p 127.0.0.1:4822:4822 -v /tmp/trasa/accessproxy/guac:/tmp/trasa/accessproxy/guac --user root seknox/guacd:v0.0.1
Unable to find image 'seknox/guacd:v0.0.1' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: dial udp [::1]:53: socket: address family not supported by protocol.
See 'docker run --help'.

hmm nevermind, I had copied that from the installation guide, without noticing the image tag, it is now running, will make some tests and will get back with feedback asap.

Thank you very much

@sshah after stopping the guacd service running with guacamole, I ran the docker command to start the container, and restarted TRASA server, and it went smoothly , thank you very much for the support.

1 Like

Glad that it worked! :+1: